Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Not A Day Without Creation

Some days I find it seems like the time just slips away faster than I can race after it in my oatmeal, drool covered yoga pants. But even on those days, I try to find some time for creative outlet.
Yesterday, I stumbled upon a few really wonderful web finds.

The first is this fantastic site http://oliverands.com/  !  I am smitten with the fact that the clothing patterns are presented as paper dolls, but then there are the patterns themselves!
I had to stop a moment and catch my breath before venturing into the company blog where the photo projects take inspiration to a completely new level.

There is a charge for many of the patterns, but I was able to find a free pattern called the Lazy Days Skirt.  I didn't have the fabric called, for, but since I'm such a beginner, I just wanted to practice following a pattern.   The pattern was FABULOUSLY well written and here is a photo of my first attempt (again- with the wrong fabric shapes).
I am planning to get some fabric this weekend to try again, this time for an actual wearable finished project.  I saw some fabric at the local resale shop in town that was calling to me and now I know why.

Now when I say this pattern was easy, it really was, because I was able to get it together while trying out a new recipe I found at this website http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fragrant-Beef-Curry-with-Rice-104202 .  I've posted the recipe below.
Words can not describe how fantastic this dish turn out.  
We eat all organic, grass fed meats and try to buy from local farms.  We usually buy our meat in bulk and because of this, tend to have the same cuts over and over again.  I've made beef stew and Hungarian Goulash a bazillion times and was really looking for something that was WAY out of the box for our house.
This curry dish was a gamble because I have little ones and little mouths typically don't go gaga over spicy foods.   This dish was an exception.
I think it was the aroma that won everyone over from the very start.  The smells of cloves, cinnamon, ginger and curry wafting through the house made me feel like I was traveling through some far away bazaar and  one flip of the Ipod to some great world music and I was there.


Sweet and spicy this is one that will be logged in as a new family favorite and perfect for the cold weather and stuffy noses that it brings!


Now, I promised my five year old that since I started a new blog about airing out some creativity, that I would post some of her work as well.  After dinner, we sat down to make fantastic play doe desserts.  Sometimes this is all of the artistic outlet I get during the day, but I've got to say that oftentimes, it's the most enjoyable.



Fragrant Beef Curry With Rice

Ingredients
2 pounds well-trimmed boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons vegetable oil


2 large onions, sliced
6 whole cloves
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 cinnamon sticks
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 large tomatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons Major Grey chutney ( I used mango salsa instead)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Hot cooked rice

Preparation

Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Working in batches, add beef to pot and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes per batch. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same pot over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until tender and brown, about 7 minutes. Return beef to pot. Add cloves, garlic, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf and dried red pepper to pot; stir 1 minute. Stir in milk, tomatoes, chutney, lemon juice, ginger, curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.

Uncover; increase heat to medium. Boil stew until juices are slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve over rice.

Really, so, so delicious!

4 comments:

  1. Nice start to your blog....
    The beef curry is looking very tasty...
    will the recipe get posted as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Per your request, I've posted the recipe above! =)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how my comment box came up here but I just want to say the fabric for the little one's dress is sooo perfect!
    as always, you are doing a super job. <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. trying to post a profile pic...not working;))

    ReplyDelete